Online Application Forms for all Categories of Opticians Now Live
The COA has launched online application forms for provisional opticians, opticians transferring to Alberta from other provinces, and former opticians applying for reinstatement of registration. This online application process is fully integrated with the COA’s database and allows registrants to complete the application process and manage their registration on a single platform.
How To Create an Account and Submit an Application
Applicants visit https://coa.alinityapp.com/Client/Account/Signup to create an account. Former registrants seeking reinstatement may have an existing account and will log in rather than create a new account.
Create an Account
- Enter the email address you would like to use for your account. This will be your user name for logging in to the COA Registrant Portal.
- Enter your first name, last name, gender, and validation code, then agree to the terms of service and select Sign Up.
- You will receive an email from Alinity, the COA database platform, asking you to complete your registration. When you click the link in the email, you will be asked to create a password for your account.
- The COA database uses two-factor authentication for enhanced security. Enter the code automatically sent to you via email to complete the account creation process.
Complete Your Application
- Once you have created your account and logged in to the COA Registrant Platform, you will have the option to select from three different permit application types:
- Provisional – Select this application type if you are a graduate of an accredited optical sciences program in Canada or have completed the national Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition (PLAR) Program but have not yet completed your national licensing exam.
- General – Select this application type if you are a former registrant applying for reinstatement or are a registered optician in another province transferring to Alberta.
- Non-Practicing – Select this application type if you are unemployed or on temporary employment leave. Non-practicing applicants are not permitted to practice opticianry in Alberta and must update their registration to active practice once they have returned to work.
2. Follow the application instructions to complete and submit your application. You will be asked to supply the following information:
- Personal information, including name, gender, date of birth, current address, contact information, and language(s) of practice
- Credential information, including credential type, institution, completion date, and a copy of official transcripts or Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition (PLAR) Program results
- Employment information, including employer name, address, and contact information; if your are provisional applicant, you will also enter your supervisor’s information and upload a completed Provisional Supervisor Form
- Criminal record check, if required for your application type (please visit Sterling Backcheck to complete this process)
- Mandatory declarations depending on application type, including good standing, accuracy of information, privacy, continuing competency, professional liability insurance, and/or non-practicing undertaking
If you encounter any issues or have any questions throughout the application process, please contact the COA at 780-429-2694 or by email at email@example.com. Regular office hours are Monday to Thursday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. MST.