File a Complaint
Protecting the Public
The mandate of the COA is to ensure that opticians provide safe, competent, and ethical care to the public. As a result, it is the College’s duty to discipline members in violation of applicable legislation, regulations, standards of practice, and code of ethics. All complaints of unprofessional conduct against registered opticians are investigated by the College.
Filing a Complaint
Members of the public who have experienced unprofessional conduct may file a complaint against an optician through the COA office by submitting a Complaint Form.
In accordance with section 59 of the Health Professions Act, the COA must receive the complaint in writing, either by completing the Complaint Form or as a letter, fax, or e-mail. The COA is unable to act on verbal complaints.
The COA does not have jurisdiction to investigate concerns about business practices, financial matters, or poor customer service.
Preparing Your Complaint
Complaints of unprofessional conduct must include:
- Complainant’s full name, mailing address, and telephone contact information.
- Complainant’s signature and the date of the written complaint.
- Name of the offending optician.
- Optician’s business name, business address, and phone number.
- Clear and concise details describing the complaint. This could include the date and time of the incident, the order of events, and the names of any witnesses.
- Any supporting documentation, such as copies of receipts and the products in question.
** The process is different for sexual abuse and sexual misconduct complaints. Please visit our Sexual Abuse and Misconduct page or contact the COA for more information.**